Friday, December 4, 2009

Writing an essay

Today, i wrote an 'essay' about 'What can be done to develop India in the next five years' for my little sister.
The first thing I did, after agreeing to write the essay, was to ask her, what she thought could improve india. It is interesting to know what kind of half baked ideas exist in the minds of the little ones.Whats more interesting is, how similar they are to the ones I have. At
Some realizations I had while 'writing the essay'
a. I have no clue how or what to write in an essay, Im still as clueless as i was in class 8. Initially i thought i would write in broken sentences and make deliberate mistakes in grammar and language so that it looks like the writing of a 13 year old. Surprise, surprise! I actually didnt need to put in any conscious effort to write that way. And my 'essay' ended up being more of less of a badly edited blog post.
b. Computers make writing stuff so much easier. I wrote what looked like 3/4 of a screen, it ended up being 1.5 pages long irl(in real life). The length of the essay has always been a big challenge for me.More generally, the length of the answers in exams. I have never, for the life of me, been able to reach the 'mark' when it comes to writing answers of prescribed length. Whenever there's a word limit or a minimum number of words mentioned, i get so obsessed with then numbers, that i end up making desperate attempts to write. Its not that i have insufficient vocabulary or lack ideas, just that, the very existence of that number makes me ..... well, i dont know the exact word.
When it comes to putting pen to paper, id rather solve a math problem or draw something than write. I am almost autistic in this reagard.

No comments:

Post a Comment